The 40-minute essay format demands persuasion and analysis. Pupils are offered with three views on an interest and asked to “evaluate and analyze” the views, “state and develop” your very own viewpoint, and to then “explain the connection” between your 3 views and their very own.
Here’s a test from ACT.org
Lots of the products or services we depend on daily are now given by intelligent, automatic devices as opposed to humans. Robots develop vehicles as well as other goods on installation lines, where as soon as there have been workers that are human. Quite a few phone conversations are now actually carried out maybe not with individuals however with advanced technologies. We are able to now purchase items at many different shops minus the assistance of the cashier that is human. Automation is generally viewed as an indication of progress, exactly what is lost as soon as we replace people with devices? Because of the accelerating variety and cheap written essays prevalence of smart machines, it really is well worth examining the implications and meaning of these existence inside our everyday lives.
Perspective One: that which we lose aided by the replacement of men and women by devices is some right element of our personal mankind. Also our mundane daily encounters not require from us courtesy that is basic respect, and threshold for other individuals.
Perspective Two: Machines are great at low-skill, repeated jobs, as well as high-speed, incredibly exact jobs. Both in instances they are more effective than people. This effectiveness contributes to an even more successful and world that is progressive every person.
Attitude Three: smart devices challenge our long-standing some ideas about exactly exactly exactly what humans are or may be. This really is good given that it pushes both people and devices toward brand brand new, unimagined opportunities.
ASSIGNMENT: Write a unified, coherent essay concerning the increasing existence of smart devices for which you address the provided views in addition to provide your very own undertake why you agree or disagree.
- Invest 5-10 minutes preparing your essay: what this means is to just take a few moments to arrange your thinking.
- Confirm your comprehension of the prompt while the three views: The perspectives not just consist of an assertion in regards to the subject but an impression about this. Don’t spend time wanting to show up by having a fourth viewpoint. Your work would be to secure on a viewpoint which you feel most comfortable supporting. Keep in mind, your task would be to “analyze the connection betwixt your viewpoint and also at minimum an added perspective”.
- Brainstorm or make note of notes and explanations: Since you’ll need certainly to discuss the relationship in the middle of your viewpoint as well as minimum among the presented perspectives, you will have to evidence that is incorporate your essay.
- Where you might get your ‘evidence’:
- The opening of this prompt typically provides a few examples you can use in your essay.
- Utilize experience that is personal to you personally or some one you realize and even be innovative and also make one up!
- Usage statistics: It’s OK in order to make up generalizations that help wisdom that is conventional. As an example, one strongly related this prompt might be: 80-90% of callers wind up hanging up whenever prompted by a pc repeatedly.
- Usage historical sources or present activities. Including: The invention associated with the vehicle impacted every part of y our life and literally changed the program of civilization. Today we have been considering the impact of driverless automobiles on culture.
- Keep in mind, there is certainly no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ solution to answer the 3 views. in the event that you disagree with all the very very first viewpoint – dismissive regarding the undesireable effects of smart devices – you would like to deal with one other two good views in one single paragraph.
NOTE: you merely want to evaluate the connection in the middle of your perspective plus one of this three introduced; however, when you yourself have strong proof for both associated with the other views, you can evaluate both of them in accordance with your perspective.
Utilize this format that is basic to create your essay. Alot 25-28 moments for writing as well as minimum 3-5 mins to evidence.
Paragraph no. 1: Introduction – Your introduction will be your declaration of this thesis – your viewpoint. Make certain it provides your declaration from the presssing issue provided along with exactly just how it pertains to among the other views. Your intro should always be sentences that are 2-4.
Paragraph #2: measure the perspective that is first aren’t supporting with PARTICULAR examples.
Paragraph # 3: measure the other viewpoint maybe perhaps perhaps not plumped for with PARTICULAR examples.
Paragraph # 4 (and 5): this is actually the paragraph that analyzes the viewpoint you trust which means this could be the biggest one, possibly also 2 paragraphs. Once more, examples should be CERTAIN, perhaps not really a listing that is mere!
Last paragraph: Your summary that states the assessment that is final of argument restating your thesis.
This structure helps to ensure that you will address everything demanded into the project.
Take note that we said CERTAIN examples each right amount of time in all caps. This can be I read most essays, examples are merely listed, not elaborated on because I have noticed when! The greater amount of specific the greater. The graders are seeking indications you have learned something in high school that you know history, current events, literature, science, etc!
Use qualifying adverbs liberally: apparently, simply, basically, mainly, typically, etc.
Be sure you enable at the very least 3-5 minutes to proofread your essay to get any “Language Use” mistakes: (sentence structure, mechanics, syntax, and term option) since that is among the criteria useful for scoring.
You may receive a complete of five ratings for this test: just one subject-level writing rating reported on a selection of 2-12, and four domain ratings, also 2-12, which are according to an analytic scoring rubric. The subject-level rating will function as the average regarding the four domain scores. The four domain ratings are:
Some ideas and review developing and Support Organization Language Use and Conventions
A picture of the essay is supposed to be open to your senior high school therefore the universities you intend to have your ACT scores forwarded to.
The essay is optional and will also be the last part on the ACT. Numerous universities need the essay, so if you’re uncertain where you stand using, it is better to simply take the test because of the essay.